The Student News Site of San Marcos High School

Knights News

Knights News

Knights News

Knights at the Round Table Infographic made by Byllie Fleming on Canva.
Knights of the Round Table
Byllie Fleming, Writer • February 26, 2024
Fellowship of Christian Athletes graphic designed on Canva.
What Is The FCA?
Jonathan Whitney, Writer • January 22, 2024
The cow barn in the FFA farm introduces visitors will  large seal stating Agricultural FFA Education.
Building a Sustainable Future One Farm at a Time
Fatima Hamideh, Editor • January 14, 2024
Intro to SZA concert for SOS tour. Screens on stage project the writing, The SOS Tour in blue lights.
SZA’s “SOS” Tour Review
Madison Samuel, Writer • February 26, 2024
Canva made by Gwynneth Salazar of cover art for Wish movie.
Disney's Wish Review
Gwynneth Salazar, Writer • February 9, 2024
Student listening to Lana Del Rey taken by Oshe Eliapo
Did You Know There Is A Tunnel Under Ocean Boulevard?
Oshe Eliapo, Writer • May 25, 2023

A Spooky Tradition

Every October the third and fourth floor get decorated for halloween
Rachel Norris
The fourth floor at San Marcos High School decorated like a haunted attic during October.

The old paintings watching you. The feeling of walking through spider webs. The spookiness of a ghost about to pop out and scare you. These are all things you may experience in a dark, haunted attic, but for our school it’s just a hallway filled with Halloween decorations.

Every year, the fourth floor science hallway gets embellished with halloween decorations. According to science teacher Robert Terrill,  who is in charge of the decorations, it’s a long process that takes months of planning and lots of help. “First thing that I do is I make a spreadsheet of every single day and then I figure out what different decorations I’m going to put up each day.” The spreadsheet also helps him figure out what he needs to order from Amazon and what he needs to bring from home.

Different people come in every day to help set up, including many students and teachers. Not only does the planning take a while, but assembling the decorations takes an entire month. There are so many details in the hallway that even with so many volunteers, it takes the entire month of October to set up. 

This year the theme was a haunted attic with different floating tarot cards, creepy photographs, eerie candles, and smiling ghosts. Each year the theme will differ. Terrill said “We kind of try and do a little bit of a different theme each year.” Last year the theme was spiders overtaking the hallway.

The teachers in the hallway started it as a joke back in 2017 as a way to distract students, so they would be late to class, but it has since carried on as a fun tradition every year.