The Student News Site of San Marcos High School

Knights News

Knights News

Knights News

Photo of FFA students with their FFA jackets that read California San Marcos, with an FFA seal in the center.
Planting a Successful Future: One Student at a Time
Ashlee McCollough, Writer • April 12, 2024
The cast of The Little Mermaid, rehearsing the Sister’s opening act. Pictured from left to right: Avery Wease, Megan Orr, Kennedy Gardner, Ashlee Mcollough, Dylan Wagner, and Ella Masalin.
“I Can’t, I Have Rehearsal”
Genevieve Saito, Writer • April 9, 2024
The cast of The Little Mermaid rehearsing an opening scene. Photo by Anna Ruais including Zoe Avant, Skye Olson, Sawyer Weller, Cody Yoe, Nick Damian, Griffin Peddycord, Landon Ortiz, Audrey Milla, Josh Depaul, Julian Chesney, and Lucas Ellis
Catching a Role
Genevieve Saito, Writer • February 29, 2024
Students in the spotlight graphic made on Canva.
Students in the Spotlight
Byllie Fleming and Mia BatcherMarch 21, 2024
Anyone but You fan art made on Canva.
Anything but Just Alright
Gigi Miller, writer • March 19, 2024
The Terapia tour fanart made by Diana Pahua on Canva.
Terapia Tour
Diana Pahua, Writer • March 12, 2024

A Spooky Tradition

Every October the third and fourth floor get decorated for halloween
Rachel Norris
The fourth floor at San Marcos High School decorated like a haunted attic during October.

The old paintings watching you. The feeling of walking through spider webs. The spookiness of a ghost about to pop out and scare you. These are all things you may experience in a dark, haunted attic, but for our school it’s just a hallway filled with Halloween decorations.

Every year, the fourth floor science hallway gets embellished with halloween decorations. According to science teacher Robert Terrill,  who is in charge of the decorations, it’s a long process that takes months of planning and lots of help. “First thing that I do is I make a spreadsheet of every single day and then I figure out what different decorations I’m going to put up each day.” The spreadsheet also helps him figure out what he needs to order from Amazon and what he needs to bring from home.

Different people come in every day to help set up, including many students and teachers. Not only does the planning take a while, but assembling the decorations takes an entire month. There are so many details in the hallway that even with so many volunteers, it takes the entire month of October to set up. 

This year the theme was a haunted attic with different floating tarot cards, creepy photographs, eerie candles, and smiling ghosts. Each year the theme will differ. Terrill said “We kind of try and do a little bit of a different theme each year.” Last year the theme was spiders overtaking the hallway.

The teachers in the hallway started it as a joke back in 2017 as a way to distract students, so they would be late to class, but it has since carried on as a fun tradition every year.