The Student News Site of San Marcos High School

Knights News

Knights News

Knights News

Lockdown on Sept. 13

Fatima Hamideh
Picture of the 100s-400s building on campus. Where the event took place was on the third floor of this building during school hours. Picture taken by Fatima Hamideh.

On Wednesday, Sept. 13 the 300s building was put into a lockdown halfway through the first period block at 8:49 a.m. This lockdown occurred  because of a behavioral health incident. Teachers and students were told to remain in class until first responders arrived on campus to give medical attention to both the student and staff involved. San Marcos High School Principal Jesse Schuveiller, sent out an email to all students, staff and the SMHS community that addressed the incident later that day. Here is an excerpt from Schuveiller’s email:

I wanted to make you aware of an incident on our campus today. We had a student experience a behavioral health emergency that required support from our first response partners. During this response, as a precaution, we temporarily locked down the surrounding classrooms to ensure the safety of our students and staff…

I want to assure you that the student involved is getting the support they need. Additionally, we realize that a student seeing another student in distress can be hard to process. In response, we will have counselors and social workers on campus today and tomorrow to provide emotional support for any student in need.

I thank you for your support and understanding as we work to keep SMHS a safe environment for our community.”