The Student News Site of San Marcos High School

Knights News

Knights News

Knights News

The Ultimate Go-To Beach Guide

A list of the best beaches, food places and supplies for the perfect beach day!

If you need an all-around beach guide for the coming summer days, then this list is for you! It will cover the best beaches for your activities, the surrounding restaurants to get some good beachside grub and what to bring depending on where you want to go. This list was formed based on available sand space, average crowd size, proximity to nearby business, and how good the water is (rocky, sandy, clear etc.) from interviewees at SMHS.

#1 – Moonlight – The best overall beach for all categories – west of I-5 on, Encinitas Blvd, Encinitas, CA 92024

If you want to have a social outing while getting to hangout in the summer sun then Encinitas’s Moonlight beach is the beach for you. The upsides of this beach are the three nearby volleyball courts to get your game on, the five fire pits to heat up against those chilly coastal winds and the food bar that sells a variety of meals and snacks. “I love moonlight because it has everything. There’s [volleyball] courts, food, plenty of space, it’s truly the best beach,” junior Aiden Chong said. When you’re heading to this beach, some supplies you’ll need are an umbrella, sunscreen, and some nice cold drinks as well. For games to bring, you can get on the volleyball courts, bring Spikeball, paddleball, a football, a frisbee, or even a soccer ball. This beach is one of the best and listed first due to its versatility. However, the down sides to Moonlight Beach are that often its popularity can lead to overcrowding, the low number of fire pits can mean that they might be taken early on in the day and the snack bar can be a little pricey, typically ranging from about $15 for larger items and $5 for smaller items. To avoid pricey snacks, you can bring sandwiches or pizza or any other big foods which you can enjoy on the sand or on any of the nearby tables. Parking here is free.

#2 – Ponto – The best beach for family time –  Carlsbad Blvd north of La Costa Blvd Carlsbad, California 92024

Photo of Ponto Beach. (Nathan Sipe)

If you are with your family during your beach days make sure to come visit Carlsbad’s Ponto beach. This beach is split into a North and South side. The North side features better surfing conditions, but the beach itself is far rockier. The South is better for families and has nearby public restrooms and showers.  “I like this beach because often there aren’t too many people here compared to other beaches,” said junior Quinn Bosse, a common beachgoer. If you’re heading to North Ponto, make sure to bring your board for some surfing and some shoes for the rocky sand. However, if you’re going to South Ponto, bring food, a grill, play games, or whatever other family activities you want to do.

#3 – Tamarack – The best beach for having a great time with your friends – 101 Tamarack Ave, Carlsbad, California

Tamarack, another Carlsbad Beach, is also great to hangout with friends. This beach features a strong shorebreak, decent amount of sand space, and five volleyball courts. Also, if you’re looking for a thrilling experience you can take the jump of Ol’ rusty, a 35-foot tall bridge. “I like playing volleyball on the open courts at Tammy,” said junior Colton Heap. As Tamarack is very near to Carlsbad Village, you are only a walking distance from a variety of nearby restaurants and shops, so feel free to leave the food and drinks at home. Unfortunately, this beach is known for some very rocky water and a shallow rocky reef. Typically, to park in the main parking lot there is a fee of about $5. Despite this, make sure to head to this beach for games on the sand and a great time with friends.

#4 – D Street – The best surf beach nearest to SMHS – 404 W D St, Encinitas, CA 92024

Photo Taken at D Street in Encinitas during sunset. (Nathan Sipe)

This beach is one of the greatest to go surfing. Many surfers recommend this surf beach over others. It was mostly recommended due to its versatility of breaks, meaning that surfers of all skill levels can catch waves here. “My dad always takes me to this beach to catch gnarly waves bright and early on most Saturday mornings.,” said junior Sawyer Cowan, a member of the SMHS Surf Team. If you aren’t going to surf, it’s best to not head to this beach as it can get crowded with surfers and you wouldn’t want to get hit. However, overall it’s a good beach to check out this summer and great to practice your surfing skills.