The Student News Site of San Marcos High School

Knights News

Knights News

Knights News

Canva design of person uploading college information.
Are You Experienced?
Graphic art of two kids playing with a soccer ball made by Abigail Hunt.
Outdoor Play and its Positive Impacts
Photos of Kaiah Bacho, on the left she is posing for an award, and on the right, she is on crutches as a result of her torn ACL.
Coming Back From the Sidelines
SAN MARCOS WEATHER

• 7 AM
    56 °
  • 8 AM
    57 °
  • 9 AM
    60 °
  • 10 AM
    62 °
  • 11 AM
    64 °
  • 12 PM
    65 °
  • 1 PM
    66 °
  • 2 PM
    66 °
  • 3 PM
    66 °
  • 4 PM
    66 °
  • 5 PM
    65 °
  • 6 PM
    63 °
  • 7 PM
    61 °
  • 8 PM
    59 °
  • 9 PM
    57 °
  • 10 PM
    56 °
  • 11 PM
    56 °
  • 12 AM
    55 °
  • 1 AM
    54 °
  • 2 AM
    54 °
  • 3 AM
    53 °
  • 4 AM
    53 °
  • 5 AM
    52 °
  • 6 AM
    54 °
  • 7 AM
    56 °
April 27
67°/ 52°
Sunny
April 28
70°/ 52°
Sunny
April 29
71°/ 53°
Sunny

Top Five School Foods

Ranking the food items served at San Marcos High School
Jonathan Whitney
Top 5 School Foods on canva made by Jonathan Whitney.

Although not always great, SMHS has a lot to offer in terms of the amount of food served on campus, whether that be during lunch or brunch. This paper serves to identify some of the top five best food items served here at SMHS. This list was based upon three factors: its overall flavor, it’s availability during the week, and how well it might stack up to its restaurant counterpart. 

#5

Coming in at number five would be the mini cinni. This particular item gets the spot that it does, because it’s a really good brunch pick and you can fairly comfortably rely on it being there. The mini cinni is rather unique as it is one of the sweeter options offered at SMHS, despite this it is rather common, and they have it almost everyday except Tuesday. So if you’re feeling like something sweet and pretty good after second period, go and try the mini cinni.         

#4

Number four might be a bit of a curveball but it would be the spaghetti. Who doesn’t like spaghetti? It seems that everyone at least likes it, and it’s probably on the top ten foods of all time for a lot of people. As far as how it stacks up against real spaghetti isn’t great though. You can walk into essentially any Italian food restaurant high end or low end, and always order spaghetti that’s better in taste quality and consistency. But as far as school food goes it’s pretty good since although not great it’s still spaghetti and quite filling for the rest of the day at school. However it isn’t always an option, and sometimes you can go a few days without seeing it.

#3

Ranked number three is The “sunrise” sandwich. Quite well named for its breakfasty nature, which might just be the very best brunchtime item, comes in at number three of all time. Whenever you see the sunrise sandwich written on the whiteboard at any lunch line, I suggest you order it before it’s gone. If you didn’t know, the sunrise sandwich bears a resemblance to the egg McMuffin served at Mcdonald’s, sporting egg meat and cheese. The sunrise sandwich is a great option for after leaving second period a bit hungry, it’s one of the more substantial items on the brunch menu.                

#2

Number two is an item that they rarely have but doesn’t change the fact that it’s one of the best. This item would be the “BBQ pork sliders.” Much like the spaghetti, these have a similar story. No respected BBQ restaurant would ever serve such a dish. But as far as school food goes, it’s more than fine, in fact it’s even really good. It is what it sounds like, it has pork brioche style bread and BBQ sauce. All in all, it makes for a steller school food item. 

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Before moving on to the final slot, there are most certainly some honorable mentions. First of all a favorite of many is the fiery chicken wrap. It comes with a delicious Cane’s style sauce, but it didn’t make the list because it seems to only come once in a blue moon. The second honorable mention is the guacamole burger. This is one of my favorites as I’m very partial to guacamole burgers, but it is too rare to include on the list. 

#1

Without any further ado, coming in first place is of course the BBQ Western Cheeseburger. This phenomenal item can be found every now and then, and when it’s there, it’s a must-get. This burger is actually not a bad rendition of the one from Wendy’s, it has bacon, BBQ sauce, meat, and onion rings. It is what it sounds like, an amalgamation of ingredients that simply go together well.