The Student News Site of San Marcos High School

Knights News

Knights News

Knights News

San Marcos

• 8 PM
    56 °
  • 9 PM
    55 °
  • 10 PM
    54 °
  • 11 PM
    53 °
  • 12 AM
    53 °
  • 1 AM
    53 °
  • 2 AM
    53 °
  • 3 AM
    53 °
  • 4 AM
    52 °
  • 5 AM
    52 °
  • 6 AM
    51 °
  • 7 AM
    52 °
  • 8 AM
    55 °
  • 9 AM
    57 °
  • 10 AM
    59 °
  • 11 AM
    62 °
  • 12 PM
    63 °
  • 1 PM
    64 °
  • 2 PM
    65 °
  • 3 PM
    64 °
  • 4 PM
    64 °
  • 5 PM
    62 °
  • 6 PM
    60 °
  • 7 PM
    58 °
  • 8 PM
    57 °
February 27
62°/ 53°
Overcast
February 28
65°/ 51°
Sunny
February 29
64°/ 51°
Sunny

Soaking in the Knowledge of AP Classes, Electives and Clubs

The rainy week didn’t stop over 70 classes and clubs from being represented during the annual AP/Elective fair and Club Rush 2.0
Miguel Olayo
Avery Feagle represents Climbing Club on Friday, Feb. 2 during Club Rush 2.0

From Monday, Jan. 29 to Friday, Feb. 2 during lunch, the AP fair, elective fair, and club rush 2.o happened in front of the 500s building. The AP and Elective Fair is for those who would want to take an AP class or elective next year. Classes such as AP Art History, AP Calculus AP Physics 2, and more were represented by students and teachers. Junior Paige Mumma was one of the students representing one of these classes, she said, “Around 30 people help set up which takes about 30 minutes to set up the signs, and tables. They were available to talk to students who were interested in taking the challenge of an AP class.

AP classes are Advanced Placement classes for those willing to take their learning to another level. If a person is willing to take an AP class they should also be mindful of their schedule after school to have time to study and do homework. The class/classes will be challenging since you are willing to challenge yourself academically. Senior Ison Nijssang took AP history for one semester and said “I took AP History for one semester and it is the hardest AP at the school because it’s just a ton of notes you write down.” The AP program allows students to pursue college-level studies while being in high school and have an understanding of college-level classes before entering college. Freshman David Aguilar said “I will take an AP class but if it is too hard then I will most likely switch out but my brother said that it was hard so I’m not sure. I had an older brother who took an AP class and said that he struggled a lot and didn’t really have enough time, he didn’t get a lot of sleep and he was stressed out a lot.” If you are willing to check out the AP classes that are available you should check out the AP fair when it is going on.

In addition to AP classes, electives such as Air Force JROTC, Criminal Justice, Marching band, and more were also represented. Freshman Oscar Altarmirano said ” I recommend Air Force JROTC but the only thing I don’t like is on Wednesdays we go out with the PE classes and have to do jumping jacks, pushups, and the mile. On Mondays we usually wear our uniforms unless we tell our parents to sign a form to not wear the uniform. AFJROTC is fun and I would recommend it rather than doing PE.”

On Thursday, Feb. 1, it was raining during lunch when the club rush was happening but that didn’t stop students from signing up. The Clubs and electives were moved into the student union so you could still sign up and not miss out on fun electives and clubs we have to offer. The fair was amazing; how they set their items up and included visuals of what is in the club or elective you plan to sign up for.