The Student News Site of San Marcos High School

Knights News

Knights News

Knights News

The New Experience

Middle Schoolers from all around San Marcos come to SMHS
Diana Pahua
8th graders being welcomed into campus by the marching band and cheerleaders.

On Monday, March 12, eighth graders from different middle schools came to San Marcos High to get a small tour of the school before the next school year before they start as freshmen. They were welcomed by cheerleaders, the band drumline, and ASB students who gave out things for them to wear and essential bracelets for the tour. The event was held in the gym, but then students were moved to the cafe or theater.

This tour was held to help students get the feel of the school and get inside information about how things work, before starting as freshmen the coming school year.  San Marcos Middle School eighth-grader Nataly Ornelas said, “It was fun to see everything and how big it was but when I was entering I was so nervous and it seemed so scary but then I was okay, but by the end, it wasn’t as big (The high school)  in end.”

Behind the scenes, ASB  has been working hard on everything to ensure the eighth graders had a good time. They planned tours and games for the future freshmen to play, including tic tac toe and beach ball games. They showed the eighth graders AP and elective classes and held a showcase assembly where some clubs demonstrated what they do.

Some clubs that were included were Ballet Folklorico, Cheer, boys and girls dance team, and color guard. Freshman Ailene Gozman said, “It was nerve-wracking because it was our first time as a freshman, but we prepared beforehand making sure everything was going on time.”

Some of the things that occurred were similar to what San Marcos High does for club rush and the AP and elective fair. This time it wasn’t for SMHS students, but for the eighth graders, so they could see what classes they could take because in a few days, the class of 2028 will pick their class for this upcoming year as freshmen. Freshman Valeria Romero said, “[the eighth-grade tour] did help, but I somewhat already knew because of my older siblings.” 

During the tour, students were taken to the cafe and theater depending on the color of their bracelet. In those meetings, four student speakers spoke to the middle schoolers about the things that the school has that will help them navigate their school lives. They were also allowed to ask questions about anything they wanted more info from. When the presentations concluded students from the theater and cafe were released to look at the table set up for classes and clubs they could join, and also told they could get lunch. After those students were finished they sent the next group of students and repeated the same process.

During the end of the eighth-grade tour, San Marcos High students were released for lunch while the eighth-graders left on a bus back to their middle schools. 

Towards the middle of the lunch period, a female student from San Marcos Middle School had a violent altercation with a current female freshman near the 700s building. After a few seconds, the students were separated by teachers and the student resource officer. This was not before other students gathered around and took videos of the incident. An announcement was made for students to immediately go to their sixth-period class.  The students were both taken to the assistant principal’s office.