The Student News Site of San Marcos High School

Knights News

Knights News

Knights News

How ASB Created Homecoming

The Behind-The-Scenes of ASB Planning Homecoming

Bright lights are flashing, loud music is playing and everyone is dancing with enthusiasm. This was the homecoming experience for students at SMHS. However, all of that fun took ASB long, stressful weeks to prepare.

“We spent the entire month leading up to HOCO doing the decorations, and then sometimes people would have to stay after school to make them,” said junior Ava Grace Cordero.

Homecoming has been a high school tradition across the United States for over 100 years. ASB students at San Marcos High School put their hearts and souls into the preparation every year, even if it comes along with the stress. Because of the bomb threat, this year’s planning has been even more taxing for ASB students. 

“Due to the threat, less people showed up to homecoming than normal which was a let down for everyone who was involved in the planning”

— Ava Grace Cordero

“I feel like a lot of people were reluctant and scared to go to HOCO,” Cordero noted, “[it] was pretty well advertised and they didn’t know if the person who made the bomb threat would target HOCO as well.” Due to the threat, fewer people showed up to homecoming than normal which was a letdown for everyone who was involved in the planning. They were afraid the absence of the assembly would affect the feeling of the dance.

San Marcos High School gives the junior class the responsibility to decide the theme. This year it was carnival, and the entire dance did a great job of reflecting a real-life carnival. Between the mixture of funnel cakes, the mall train, and a popcorn stand, it felt as if a tent of white and red was draped over the entirety of San Marcos High School.

“The decorations were really good, and all the activities and the food was delicious,” said sophomore  Zoe Avant. 

The rows of games and food stands didn’t happen overnight, in fact, ASB began planning months in advance. “We started planning at least a month before, if not during the summer,” Cordero said.

“We started planning at least a month before, if not during the summer”

— Ava Grace Cordero

Although it may have taken months and months of tireless planning, the SMHS ASB was able to put together the perfect homecoming, and they are looking forward to showcasing their great ideas for winter formal.