San Marcos Jazz Band Concert

Phoebe Nuyen

More stories from Phoebe Nuyen

Spring in Full Swing
April 17, 2023
Shades of a Generation
January 31, 2023

Jade Nuyen

Photograph taken of Jazz B by Jade Nuyen during the SMHS Jazz Concert on Thursday, Dec. 8, 2023

The San Marcos High School jazz ensembles performed a total of seven semester-cumulative pieces on Thursday, Dec. 8. Beginning their concert at 7 p.m. on the theater stage at San Marcos High, the two jazz bands played for an audience of peers, family members, and friends after several months of practice and devotion.

“I thought both bands had a great performance, and I enjoyed seeing all our hard work paying off,” said Freshmen trombone soloist, Connor Hanson. 

I love hearing how all the parts of an ensemble fit together and complement each other in a piece

— Connor Hanson

Everyday, all of the students from both bands arrived at school at 7 a.m. to rehearse, displaying their dedication and effort. Songs for each band included a variety of styles, tempos, and soloists. Jazz B was first to perform under the direction of Terence S. Cooper and Adrian Magaña, playing three pieces in total, all of which titles’ began with the letter ‘B’! Jazz A, the audition band and top group, featured a multitude of arrangements in the genres of swing, funk, and latin. 

“I love hearing how all the parts of an ensemble fit together and complement each other in a piece,” said Hanson.