The Student News Site of San Marcos High School

Knights News

Knights News

Knights News

Behind the Scenes of Guitar Club

What is it Like for Clubs when First Starting Out
Guitar club flier made by Leo Macias on Canva.
Leo Macias

As a young club with yet much experience, they strive to grow as a club and help the beginner guitar players advance in their ability. Junior Dennis Che and Tristian Ta of San Marcos High School, started Guitar club at only the beginning of this school year. 

Vice president of Guitar Club Junior Tristan Ta, says they started their club “a month ago”, and is already on their way to the growth of their club. The advancement of a club is something that takes a good chunk of time and effort, and in only a month, they already have a lot of the necessities needed for their club. Their following since the beginning grew significantly with many students showing up to their club meets after school fueling the experience for the leaders of the club. 

President of the club Dennis Che mentions that “being able to meet new people who share similar interests” is a joy of the club he and the rest of the club members enjoy. He also enjoys “seeing beginners pick up something new” and also “giving them the opportunity to learn the guitar.” Many music programs are set on gathering the best musicians they can find to push these musicians to find their potential, which is a great way to grow as a musician. But what sets guitar club apart from many musical programs is how this club offers a chance for the beginners to learn something new, a very unique approach to music. 

An unexpected turn for guitar club occurred at their first meeting. Ta explained how “we didn’t get the publicity we needed”, and how they “didn’t get many people to join the Remind app”, Remind is an app that all clubs use to notify participants of a club. This resulted in “very few  people attending our first meeting”. Che also added that “only four people showed up to the first meeting”. To turn things around, they made efforts to make themselves more known on campus through flyers and morning announcements to gain a bigger following. The efforts were effective, and evidently massive when witnessed walking into one of their meetings after school to see well over 25 club participants in the room. 

Guitar club is a club for guitar players of any skill level, or even for people who take an interest in the instrument. In this club, students are able to connect with others and find musicians who might share an interest or two. Giving the spotlight to what clubs do when first starting out is a way to apprise people who don’t know about this club, but also spark an interest in starting any kind of club. This gives the students on campus the chance to think of something new, and try something new.