The Student News Site of San Marcos High School

Knights News

Knights News

Knights News

Canva design of person uploading college information.
Are You Experienced?
Graphic art of two kids playing with a soccer ball made by Abigail Hunt.
Outdoor Play and its Positive Impacts
Photos of Kaiah Bacho, on the left she is posing for an award, and on the right, she is on crutches as a result of her torn ACL.
Coming Back From the Sidelines
SAN MARCOS WEATHER

• 3 PM
    66 °
  • 4 PM
    65 °
  • 5 PM
    64 °
  • 6 PM
    62 °
  • 7 PM
    60 °
  • 8 PM
    58 °
  • 9 PM
    57 °
  • 10 PM
    56 °
  • 11 PM
    56 °
  • 12 AM
    55 °
  • 1 AM
    54 °
  • 2 AM
    54 °
  • 3 AM
    53 °
  • 4 AM
    53 °
  • 5 AM
    52 °
  • 6 AM
    54 °
  • 7 AM
    56 °
  • 8 AM
    59 °
  • 9 AM
    62 °
  • 10 AM
    64 °
  • 11 AM
    67 °
  • 12 PM
    68 °
  • 1 PM
    69 °
  • 2 PM
    69 °
  • 3 PM
    69 °
April 27
66°/ 53°
Patchy rain nearby
April 28
70°/ 52°
Sunny
April 29
71°/ 54°
Sunny

The Poetry Club

Getting to Know a Community

“Dancing Queen” blasts from a phone as club members scribble away off a theme or on something that’s been on their mind all of last week. Daydreaming about comparing one “to a summer’s day” and “a midnight dreary,” the members strive to “put something… in the world that ain’t been there before. (Shel Silverstein)” It’s a Monday, mid-day poetry club meeting. 

The club starts its meetings by teaching. From types of poems to figurative language, Senior President Aura Casarez and Senior Co-President Alex Lange both present a presentation centering around poetry, essentially providing an education based on its members’ interests. “…putting together lessons and trying to figure out what the previous president was trying to do with their lessons, and then trying to convert that to ours,” said Lange. These carefully crafted lessons reflect the effort put into each meeting for this expressive art class.

The poetry club has been a part of the SMHS community for many years, being inherited by its current presidents. “SMHS poetry club originated from San Elijo Middle School poetry club,” said Casarez. “This club was run by Mr. Piro, and as everyone transitioned into high school, they made a continuation of the club. I’m the last person left who was in the original club.” Casarez works diligently to continue the tradition of the poetry club, even as they feel it has become forgotten.

Poetry club infographic flier made by Gwynneth Salazar on Canva. (Gwynneth Salazar)

“It’s difficult to keep small traditions alive because I’m the only person that these traditions have meaning for,” they said. “Poetry is a dying art; not many people are interested in it anymore.” Even so, Casarez is inspired and motivated by their peers. “Receiving feedback from members telling me that they enjoy the club and are having fun makes me feel excited, and inspires me to keep the club alive,” they said.

Even as a small group of people, the poetry club flourishes in community and poetic expression. “…I really enjoy writing it. I don’t think it has much emotional and personal value to me as it does for a lot of other people, but it’s still really fun to do,” said Lange. 

Lange concluded, “Everyone should try out poetry at one point or another. And if you come to poetry club, it’s a free, safe space, and we’re all inclusive and supportive of each other.” The poetry club is a place of free expression for its small group of members who greatly appreciate its contribution to their community.